Hi guys, whenever I am have some busy schedule and at the same time I have to cook my food also, I skip almost everything and cook plain dal, rice and make spicy aloo chokha. This way I save a lot of time to continue with work in my hand, as well as have a tasty meal. If you have 3 burners stove, you can simply use three pressure cookers, to cook each at the same time… dal, rice and boil potatoes. Since I make this item quite frequently, I usually keep dry roasted red chillies in advance, which makes the recipe even faster.
Aloo Chokha/ Bharta (Spicy)
- Pressure cooker
- Large pan
- 6 pieces potatoes – chipsona or 3773 varities preffered, but you can use any
- 2 tbsp musturd oil – you can use oilve oil also if you like but musturd oil gives the much needed flavor
- 2 pieces chopped red onion
- 2 pieces chopped green chilli
- 2 pieces sabut lal mirch
- 15 grams chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
Step by step instructions
- Wash the potatoes throughly under running water and bring them to boil with skin intact in a pressure cooker. Use low heat.
- Drain the water and let them cool for 10 minutes. Insert a knife to check if they are cooked properly before you remove the skin.
- Dry roast sabut lal mirch in a kadahi and let it cool for 5 minutes, then grind it coarsly in the small jar of mixer.
- Mash potatoes and mix the onions and other ingredients in a bowl, garnish with green coriander, your spicy aloo chokha/bharta is ready to accompany rice and dal.
You can also dry roast about 200 grams of whole red chilies, ground them coarsely and keep in an airtight container. It will save a lot of time in this recipe.