Ever had a desire to make melting in mouth soft and creamy paneer at home. This recipe will make you an expert in making paneer. Paneer is a type of cheese, which is obtained by curdling the milk, using citric acid. It can be lemon juice, orange juice, vinegar or industrial citric acid powder. The homemade paneer is your ideal ingredient for all you paneer recipes.
- 1 Litre Milk – Any milk will work.
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice – Preferred acid
- 250 grams Ice
Other suitable acids
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 5 grams Alum
- 1 tsp Citric Acid
- 3 tbsp Orange Juice
Step by step instructions
- Bring the milk to boil and switch off the flame.
- Add the acid to milk and continue stirring it. It will start separating paneer from milk and a light green color liquid will separate from it. This liquid is called whey.
- The whole process will take about 30 seconds. Once you notice that large chunks of paneer are separated and a clear green water is formed, add ice and cool it down.
- Using a muslin cloth or sieve drain the excess water in another pan. Add about one liter water to paneer and wash with hands. Drain again.
- Now the paneer you have obtained should be drained off excess water.
- tie it in the muslin cloth and keep under some weight for 2 hours. It will squeeze out the excess moisture. Your paneer is ready. You can store in fridge for up to 3 days.
When you make paneer dishes like kadahi paneer or paneer butter masala from homemade paneer, you will notice whole lot of difference in the taste compared with store bought ready-made paneer.