Rawa uttapam is an extremely easy and fast making dish. Loved by all in my house, I prepare it whenever I want to eat South Indian food and do not have ready dosa/idli batter. Hassle free south Indian delicacy, rawa uttapam wins the race of nutritious home cooked food. Whenever my daughter is hungry and I want instant healthy food for her, I make the batter at a lightening speed, heat my tawa and here I go with my plain rawa uttapam.
I make it plain, I make it onion only, mixed vegetable, onion capsicum, tomato onion capsicum, whatever the topping it tastes awesome! Prepare it any time during the day; breakfast, lunch, tea time or dinner. Have it alone, have it with a chutney or simply with tomato ketchup. It’s an all rounder!
Rawa Uttapam | Suji Uttapam | Instant Uttapam
Soft, tasty, nutritious, free from fermenting hassles. This uttapam can be eaten anytime and can be given as school tiffin for kids and can fill in papa's lunchbox as well.
- 1 Cup Rawa/ Suji/ Semolina (medium sized grains)
- ½ cup curd (sour)
- 10 pieces Curry leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 piece Medium size onion (chopped)
- 1 piece Medium size tomato (chopped)
- 1 piece Small capsicum (chopped)
- 1 piece Small carrot (chopped)
- 3 piece Green chilly (chopped)
In a medium sized bowl take rawa,curd and salt. Mix well, till the curd is fully absorbed. Add water and make the batter to dropping consistency. Let it rest aside for 20 minutes.
Check consistency, add little water if required. Your batter is ready to use.
1. Mix 2 tbsp chopped onion and little green chilly as preferred by you for onion uttapam.
2. Mix 1 tbsp chopped onion and 1 tbsp chopped tomatoes for onion tomato uttapam.
3. Mix 1 tbsp chopped onion, ½ tbsp chopped tomatoes and ½ tbsp chopped capsicum for onion tomato capsicum uttapam.
4. Mix all the remaining chopped vegetables together for mixed vegetable uttapam.
Preheat the tawa on medium heat. Pour the rawa batter, do not flatten the batter using ladle or your fingers.
Top up the vegetable mixture on the rawa batter. Any one veg mixture at a time (as preferred by you). Gently press the topping into the batter using your fingers. Cook on high flame for a minute.
Pour 1 tsp oil around the uttapam.
Flip it to the other side and cook it on low flame for 2 minutes. You can even cover it with a lid.
Check if its properly cooked. Remove from heat.
Serve it with your favourite chutney.
- Use medium sized rawa/suji to prepare a great batter. Please don’t take very small/thin suji for this batter. Avoid using local, unpacked rawa.
- Use sour curd for making the batter. It’ll help produce good aroma and taste.
- Let the batter set for 15 to 20 mins, this aids absorption of curd into rawa and a super batter.
- If there is any left over batter, store in air tight container and refrigerate. Use within 2 days maximum.
- Add chopped curry leaves, cumin seeds to the vegetable mixture to enhance taste and aroma.
- Add grated coconut to the mixed vegetable for a little sweet flavor.
- Serve it with coconut chutney, sambar or red chutney or tomato ketchup.
Rawa uttapam is fast in process, no fermentation recipe. If you have ready dosa batter or idli batter at home, prepare uttapam using the ready batter, it is much more nutritious, delicious and high fiber food.