A little twist to the traditional dosa, and here comes our uttapam. While dosa is crisp, crepe like and with filling between the folds; uttapam is thicker, soft, spongy, and with toppings. Everyone loves uttapam. Generally served with sambar and coconut chutney. As a soft uttapam cooks on a hot tawa(griddle), I literally drool over the tempting aroma. So without wasting anymore time, let’s learn to cook uttapam; the traditional way.
- Medium size Bowl
- 500 grams Dosa Batter – preferably 1 day rested batter upto 3 days
- 10 unit Curry leaves – chopped
- 2 pieces Medium Sized Onion – chopped
- 1 piece Medium tomato – chopped
- 1 piece Small capsicum – chopped
- 1 piece Small carrot – chopped
- 3 piece Green Chilly – chopped
Step by step instructions
- In a medium size bowl, mix the dosa batter properly. Get it into pouring consistency, add some water if needed. Add chopped curry leaves and little salt to the batter. Yep! Here we go, our uttapam batter is ready.
- Take all the chopped vegetables and mix them for mixed vegetable uttapam.
- Medium heat the tawa and pour the batter using a ladle. Do not flatten the batter using the ladle or your palms, let it be thick just as it is.
- Mix all vegetables and top up the uttapam batter resting on the tawa, While topping up, use your fingers to slightly tapping in the vegetables in a way to flatten the batter. Ensure the vegetables spread across the uttapam.Alternatively if you love onion uttapam, you can simply top it with chopped onions only instead of mixing in all veggies.
- Cook on high flame for 1 minute. Drizzle some oil, around the uttapam and some on top of it. Lower the heat and flip to the other side. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. You can now remove it from the tawa, ensure it's fully cooked.
- Serve hot uttapam with the sauce of your choice.
Uttapam made with dosa batter is very nutritious, because of the fermented fiber. This process however takes time as the batter needs its due resting time to develop the desired flavor and aroma. So if you are in a hurry and want to treat yourself with uttapam, try this Instant Rawa Uttapam recipe.